Monday, November 1, 2010

Linguini's Car Repair, Part 1

I wrote a paper about my mom, and I thought maybe you readers would enjoy reading. I'm only putting the beginning on right now, so you have to wait for the end. Mwahaha!!!!

Ten-year-old Carrie looked up sleepily from her homework.  She slowly stood up, stretched, and peered out the window.
“Momma, the mafia’s here again!” she shouted out the bedroom door.
“I’ll be right there!  Turn the light off so they can’t see you,” came the muffled response.
Carrie flipped the lights off and returned to the window overlooking the small intersection in front of her house.  Their road had big, empty lots on the other side.  They were thick with trees and bushes, and the cross street passed right through.  That stretch of road was a bit spooky at night.  Every few weeks at dusk, two cars would stop near each other for a few minutes.  Ever since she had first discovered these strange occurrences, Carrie’s mom had been convinced that it was the mafia making drug deals.  Carrie’s room had a window that over-looked a little section of the road, and every time they saw the cars parked there, Carrie and her mom watched the proceedings of the “mafia.”
“Okay, what are they doing?”  Carrie’s mom closed the door to the room quietly.
“I don’t know.  What does the mafia usually do on dark streets at dusk?”
“Beats me.  Do you have any binoculars?  Maybe we can see what’s going on.”  Carrie’s mom strained to see down the road.  “Wait a minute, there’s a guy getting out of the one on the right.”
“No, I don’t have binoculars.  Even if I did, they probably wouldn’t help since it’s getting dark,” Carrie said.  “Well, I guess we could use a flashlight, too.”
“Oh, sure, they’ll never notice a blinding flashlight beam coming from a window in one of the houses, now will they?”
Carrie grinned sheepishly.  “I suppose you do have a point there.”
Carrie’s mom always insisted that they turned off the light so that the mafia couldn’t see the silhouettes in the window.  They both continued to look out the window curiously.  They stared for at least a minute.
“My eyes hurt, I want to keep doing my homework,” Carrie complained.
“Excuse me?  Are you okay?  Did you really just say that you want to do your homework?”
“Uh…yeah.  I did,” admitted Carrie.
“Well, you’re homework can wait this time.  I want to watch and see what happens.  Oh, look, he’s opening the trunk.”
“Who is?”
“I don’t know their names!” Carrie’s mom said.  “But it’s the one on the left.”
“What’s he taking out?”  Carrie asked.
“It looks like a big, heavy box.”  A gasp escaped Carrie’s mom’s mouth.  “I bet it’s the drugs!”

~Caroline

1 comment:

  1. Your Mama has been telling tales out of school! But you had an accurate description of the geography considering you have never seen the place! I look fwd to the next installment xo

    ReplyDelete

Here is where you write your comments. Hence the 'Post a Comment' banner. If I think that your comment is unnecessary or inappropriate, or I just don't like it, then it will be deleted. If that makes you mad, then please hit "alt" + "F4." Thank you.