Friday, November 19, 2010

Linguini's Car Repair, Part 3

*If you missed the other two parts, check out this post first, and then this one
 
“Sorry to bother you so late, but would you happen to have any packing tape?” the man said in an unexpectedly kind tone.
“Uh…I…um, there’s some over –” Carrie’s mom stuttered and pointed.
Carrie recovered and ran to get the roll of tape.
“Like I said, I’m terribly sorry, but I just got a box of car parts that got shipped to the wrong address, and the box is open.  The parts keep spilling out, and I don’t have any tape.”
“Oh…well, it’s fine…there’s tape in the kitchen, I’ll go get it.”  Carrie’s mom came back to her senses.
“I think your daughter just went to get it, ma’am.”
Right on cue, Carrie returned with the roll of tape.  She had heard everything the man had said and was giggling to herself.  “Here you go.”
“Thank you so much, I’ll go put some on the box and be right back.”
“Come on, let’s stand on the porch so we can see him,” Carrie’s mom whispered as she stole a glance to see if the other two men were still in the road.  Sure enough, the shiny, black Cadillac was still sitting there.  The car’s lights turned on right then, and within seconds, it sped away.  Carrie looked up at her mom.
“Thank you so much.”  The man walked back up and handed the tape back.  “You know, it’s the strangest thing.  This really rich guy keeps getting packages of car parts that are supposed to be sent to me.  I run a car repair shop, you see.  Well, this rich fella sends his fancy-schmancy car over to my shop, so I know him.  Well, I suppose I don’t know him, but rather his right hand man who always brings in the car.  Boy, I sure do make a lot of dough off that guy and his car.  Anyway, every few weeks, he’s been getting one of my packages.  For some reason, he didn’t want people to see his car and the people in it associating with me, so I suggested that we meet over in that little stretch of road.”  He gestured to the spot that Carrie and her mom had been watching only minutes ago.  “I drive through it on my way home sometimes, and it always gives me the creeps.  I figured no one would be paying any attention to that part of the road, so that’s where he would give me the boxes.”  The man finally stopped for air.
“I see.”  Carrie’s mom nodded.  “I’m glad we can be of assistance, sir.”
“So am I!” he joked.  “Thank you again!  Good night.”  He strode back to his car and drove off in to the night.
Carrie looked at her mom for a long moment.  “I told you it wasn’t the mafia,” she said, and she skipped back inside to finish her homework.

Hope you enjoyed!!
~Caroline

2 comments:

  1. Caroline! You have a future as a writer. I thoroughly enjoyed each installment of your story. It must feel funny for you to be writing about "Carrie" when it's really your Mother. Keep up the great work - and keep me informed of all the latest stories. Love you!
    Aunt Christy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Yeah, it is a little strange. What's even more strange is writing about "Audy." I'm thinking of doing a separate page on my blog and posting all of my stories on it. I have to write at least 12 family stories for Konos this year. Love you!
    ~Caroline

    ReplyDelete

Here is where you write your comments. Hence the 'Post a Comment' banner. If I think that your comment is unnecessary or inappropriate, or I just don't like it, then it will be deleted. If that makes you mad, then please hit "alt" + "F4." Thank you.