Sunday, March 20, 2011

Oops...again...and again...and again...*sigh*

My third shift at my new, er, old...hmmm...-job, I was working with a girl who had only been there for a month. We were both still sort of learning our ways around. Part of my job was to keep the salad bar stocked, so we bus girls get to cut up veggies and refill dressings (my absolute least favorite part of the job), and make dressing to refill the bar with. That night, we just so happened to be almost out of House dressing - the most complicated one to make. The recipe list went something kind of like this:

Mix together:
  • 1/2 an onion, puree-ed
  • gallon of mayo (major grossness)
  • 2 cups oil
  • 2 cups of sugar
Mix well and add:
  • 1/2 cup spicy brown mustard
  • 2 cups honey
  • 1 cup of horseradish
  • 3 cups of Catalina dressing
  • poppy seeds (for looks)
I'M NOT BEING HELD RESPONSIBLE WHEN YOU TRY TO MAKE HOUSE DRESSING USING THIS RECIPE AND IT GOES TERRIBLY WRONG, BECAUSE I'LL BET MONEY ON THE FACT THAT THIS REALLY ISN'T THE EXACT RECIPE.*

Miriam (the girl I was working with) knew where the food processor, the honey, the oil, and the horseradish were. I knew where the onions, the mayo, and the Catalina were. We both knew where the mixing bowl, the whisk, and the spatula were. We got all of that together, but we still needed the measuring cup, the sugar, the mustard, and the poppy seeds. It took us ages to find it all, but we finally did, and we started our endeavor. 

I cut up the onion and put the WHOLE THING in the food processor. Oops. We divided it in half...ish. We added the mayo (don't ever volunteer to scoop mayo out of a gallon jar with a spatula), the oil, and the sugar. The oil got all over the food processor which was nightmare to clean up. Next came the mustard and the horseradish. Miriam got them mixed up and put in mustard instead of horseradish, which was easily fixed. At least it wasn't the other way around. We added the Catalina and mixed some more. Miriam poured the poppy seeds into the bowl in handfuls. On her last handful, she accidentally poured out half of the jar in her hand and the poppy seeds, in turn, spilled out of her hand onto the floor. Oops again. That's when I figured out where they keep spare brooms.

I think the dressing turned out okay. No complaints that I heard. Oh, yeah. Halfway through the night, Miriam turned to me and said, "We didn't put any honey in the dressing." And oops yet again. So yes, Late, I did have some fun escapades at my new/old job. I'll write about more if and when I get a chance.

~Caroline

*If you know what's good for you, you won't make House dressing from this recipe anyway, because it makes probably 3-4 gallons of dressing.

1 comment:

  1. Hilarity ensues. At least you have a good story to tell. I can't imagine that the House dressing was worse than that stuff we made in World [vegan] foods that went with the freshly picked greens. BLECH!

    ReplyDelete

Here is where you write your comments. Hence the 'Post a Comment' banner. If I think that your comment is unnecessary or inappropriate, or I just don't like it, then it will be deleted. If that makes you mad, then please hit "alt" + "F4." Thank you.